Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 02:20:42PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> - this presents a chicken-egg problem in that Debian does
>   not allow packages to be included without compiling them
>   from source

Not really.  In previous discussions (to lazy to search for this) we got
confirmation from ftpmaster to accept this.  So bootstrapping is not
impossible in Debian.

> - the easy way out would be if
>
> 1) there existed a Mumps compiler written in C/C++/Pascal/...
> 2) which is compatible with the DFSG
> 3) which can - however deficiently - compile GT.M
>
> So, is there ?

Even if there would some from my perspective the need to package two
different Mumps implementations to circumvent bootstrapping causes mor
trouble than needed.  It involves two problems:

   1. Finding another Mumps implementation
   2. Checking whether this really is bale to build GT.M

Compared to only one problem (negotiating with ftpmaster) I'd regard
your suggestion as harder to realise.