Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 04:15:55PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > - this presents a chicken-egg problem in that Debian does
> >   not allow packages to be included without compiling them
> >   from source
>
> Not really.  In previous discussions (to lazy to search for this) we got
> confirmation from ftpmaster to accept this.  So bootstrapping is not
> impossible in Debian.

OK, sounds good. Given what Bhaskar said ("C code that's
usually created by Mumps - like GT.M - can be taken from
another GT.M") there is not even any foreign binaries
involved: Use a C compiler to build GT.M and be done :-)

> Even if there would some from my perspective the need to package two
> different Mumps implementations to circumvent bootstrapping causes mor
> trouble than needed.  It involves two problems:
>
>    1. Finding another Mumps implementation
>    2. Checking whether this really is bale to build GT.M
>
> Compared to only one problem (negotiating with ftpmaster) I'd regard
> your suggestion as harder to realise.

That's correct given the above. It would have been the way
out if ftpmaster said NO and Mumps (as in "any") would have
been required to compile Mumps (as in "GT.M").

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346