Re: new member introduction

Hi Andreas,

On 08/12/11 21:56, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi again,

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 10:02:13PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Nick,

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 05:24:51PM +0000, Nick James wrote:
It is what the Ensembl
team use internally for batch submission.
Iven in this case the script looks somehow suspicious.
s/I/E/

Nick, if you wonder how to remove the script from the package you might
like to inspect either

    http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med?view=revision&sortby=rev&revision=8847

or

    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-commit/2011-December/010208.html

at your preference.  You see in the debian/rules script is done most of
the work.  However, "typical" rules scripts are way more easy.  The
Ensembl one is that complex because of two reasons:

   1. Several non-conformant scripts regarding pathes and permissions
   2. No proper Makefile with install target

My suggestion is that we just ignore this script as it is not needed
for Ensembl to run.
Thanks for the hint.  Could you spot more such stuff which is not
needed to run?
I'm tempted to kick all files matching "*.h" and "*.cpp" from the binary
package where these are pretty useless.  This would solve the lintian
warnings

W: libensembl-core-perl: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/share/ensembl/ensembl/misc-scripts/alternative_splicing/AltSplicingToolkit/src/util/StringUtil.h
W: libensembl-core-perl: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/share/ensembl/ensembl/misc-scripts/alternative_splicing/AltSplicingToolkit/src/util/StringUtil.cpp

What do you think?
This is used for loading data into ensembl again, and is not needed for the functioning website ( as with run_me in the previous post). However, this would be a useful resource for anyone wanting to load variation data into their own copy of Ensembl, so I think it should be kept in some form. I think you mean just keep the binaries and not the source, right?

Thanks,

Nick