Re: new member introduction

Hi again,

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 10:02:13PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 05:24:51PM +0000, Nick James wrote:
> > It is what the Ensembl
> > team use internally for batch submission.
>
> Iven in this case the script looks somehow suspicious.

s/I/E/

Nick, if you wonder how to remove the script from the package you might
like to inspect either

   http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med?view=revision&sortby=rev&revision=8847

or

   http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-commit/2011-December/010208.html

at your preference.  You see in the debian/rules script is done most of
the work.  However, "typical" rules scripts are way more easy.  The
Ensembl one is that complex because of two reasons:

  1. Several non-conformant scripts regarding pathes and permissions
  2. No proper Makefile with install target

> > My suggestion is that we just ignore this script as it is not needed
> > for Ensembl to run.
>
> Thanks for the hint.  Could you spot more such stuff which is not
> needed to run?

I'm tempted to kick all files matching "*.h" and "*.cpp" from the binary
package where these are pretty useless.  This would solve the lintian
warnings

W: libensembl-core-perl: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/share/ensembl/ensembl/misc-scripts/alternative_splicing/AltSplicingToolkit/src/util/StringUtil.h
W: libensembl-core-perl: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/share/ensembl/ensembl/misc-scripts/alternative_splicing/AltSplicingToolkit/src/util/StringUtil.cpp

What do you think?