Re: new member introduction

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 01:00:48PM +0000, Nick James wrote:
> >W: libensembl-core-perl: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/share/ensembl/ensembl/misc-scripts/alternative_splicing/AltSplicingToolkit/src/util/StringUtil.h
> >W: libensembl-core-perl: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/share/ensembl/ensembl/misc-scripts/alternative_splicing/AltSplicingToolkit/src/util/StringUtil.cpp
> >
> >What do you think?
> This is used for loading data into ensembl again, and is not needed
> for the functioning website ( as with run_me in the previous post).
> However, this would be a useful resource for anyone wanting to load
> variation data into their own copy of Ensembl, so I think it should
> be kept in some form. I think you mean just keep the binaries and
> not the source, right?

For sure I would keep the compiled binary if it makes sense.  Otherwise
if the source would be usefull for the end user I would rather move it
to some place like

    /usr/share/doc/ensembl/examples/<some-reasonable-name>/*.[ch]

to teach users about the chance to do usefull stuff with C code.

For a quick check I did a

   find . -name "*.cpp" | grep -v "/doc/"

and found some hits.  About 50% are from ensembl and I'd regard these
files in this location as pretty useless for the user.  IMHO anything
which is residing in directories named "/src/" inside the source tree
should not make its way into the binary package (at least not in the way
it is done now).