Re: archiving DICOM imagery for human consumption

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 08:21:43PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:

> also sprach Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> [2011.03.05.1940 +0100]:
> > Well, Sebastian suggested that most likely there's a viewer
> > *already* on the original data discs.
>
> There is. It has a .exe extension.

I know :-)

> > I suspected as much but since Martin asked anyways I assumed he
> > was looking for something different. Due to that I suggested that
> > it may be necessary to first better define exactly what that other
> > purpose is. I'm sure Martin knows but I for one didn't fully
> > comprehend the scope of the use case just yet.
>
> I am looking for a way to archive the data (~ 12Gb) without taking up 12Gb.

Hmmm.

> Perhaps I am simply mislead for I am thinking that DICOM is
> to medical imaging what RAW is to professional photography: a lot of
> additional information that is not really needed when all one wants
> are the data in some sort of presentable fashion.

That's exactly the problem we are facing here: we need to
define what "some sort of presentable fashion" means.

> As MRI and CT scans essentially give 3-dimensional information,
> a planar projection into something like png will obviously not cut
> the mustard.

Many times radiologists will look at cross sections rather
than 3d re-computations as far as fractures are concerned
(which is what you were hinting at).

> So hence my question should have been something in the
> direction of: to what format can I convert these 12Gb DICOM data so
> that I, as amateur spectator can still "surf my brain (and knee and
> wrists)", but not keep any information around that I won't ever use
> (nor anyone else ever will).
>
> Am I making myself clearer now?

Indeed.

I am not aware of anything offhand that takes the DICOM
data, regenerates a 3d model from that and keeps only the
data to display the model, sorry. There likely is, I just
don't know it, since it's not at all typical for doctors to
do.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346