Re: archiving DICOM imagery for human consumption

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 08:21:43PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> As MRI and CT scans essentially give 3-dimensional information,
> a planar projection into something like png will obviously not cut
> the mustard. So hence my question should have been something in the
> direction of: to what format can I convert these 12Gb DICOM data so
> that I, as amateur spectator can still "surf my brain (and knee and
> wrists)", but not keep any information around that I won't ever use
> (nor anyone else ever will).

Sounds like you want to convert it to NIfTI format. We have a number of
packages in Debian that can do that (dicomnifti, mriconvert, dcm2nii,
...).

Once it is in that format you can view, surf it with many tools also in
Debian (fslview, mricron, itksnap, amide, ...). We also have tools to
turn your brain into 3d meshes (slicer, caret) for true 3D rendering.

A bit of background: NIfTI is the defacto standard for data exchange in
neuroimaging research (less information than in DICOM, pretty much only
what is relevant to the data, no personal information or infromation
on acquistion equipment). NIfTI also supports compressed storage
(basically gzipping the file, without the need to uncompress it before
quite a bit.

In case the software in Debian proper is not enough (although it
should): Here is more: http://neuro.debian.net/pkgs.html

HTH,

Michael

--