Re: archiving DICOM imagery for human consumption

* martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [110305 20:21]:

> I am looking for a way to archive the data (~ 12Gb) without taking
> up 12Gb. [...]

As others already said: Please keep your original DICOM data for
reference. Even if the additional information does not make much
sense to you, it will be essential for any medical professional who
may have to deal with your case in the future.

> Perhaps I am simply mislead for I am thinking that DICOM is
> to medical imaging what RAW is to professional photography: a lot of
> additional information that is not really needed when all one wants
> are the data in some sort of presentable fashion.

If you are interested: You could dump all the metadata with
the dcmdump utility included in the DCMTK package. Again: Not all
of this may make sense to you, but it will be for others (or at
least for the software that others use to evaluate your case).

> to what format can I convert these 12Gb DICOM data so that I,
> as amateur spectator can still "surf my brain (and knee and
> wrists)", but not keep any information around that I won't ever
> use (nor anyone else ever will).

If you just want to create some kind of image gallery just run
something like:

 for f in *.dcm; dcmj2pnm +Wn "$f" "${f%.dcm}"

If you want more than that (e.g. multiplanar reconstructions) you
may also want to have a look at 3DSlicer: www.slicer.org

Regards,

Juergen

--
GPG A997BA7A | 87FC DA31 5F00 C885 0DC3  E28F BD0D 4B33 A997 BA7A