Re: archiving DICOM imagery for human consumption

also sprach Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> [2011.03.05.1940 +0100]:
> Well, Sebastian suggested that most likely there's a viewer
> *already* on the original data discs.

There is. It has a .exe extension.

> I suspected as much but since Martin asked anyways I assumed he
> was looking for something different. Due to that I suggested that
> it may be necessary to first better define exactly what that other
> purpose is. I'm sure Martin knows but I for one didn't fully
> comprehend the scope of the use case just yet.

I am looking for a way to archive the data (~ 12Gb) without taking
up 12Gb. Perhaps I am simply mislead for I am thinking that DICOM is
to medical imaging what RAW is to professional photography: a lot of
additional information that is not really needed when all one wants
are the data in some sort of presentable fashion.

As MRI and CT scans essentially give 3-dimensional information,
a planar projection into something like png will obviously not cut
the mustard. So hence my question should have been something in the
direction of: to what format can I convert these 12Gb DICOM data so
that I, as amateur spectator can still "surf my brain (and knee and
wrists)", but not keep any information around that I won't ever use
(nor anyone else ever will).

Am I making myself clearer now?

Cheers,

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

seminars, n.:
  from "semi" and "arse", hence, any half-assed discussion.