Re: Packaging r-bioc-simpleaffy

On 25/02/11 19:55, Manuel Prinz wrote:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:34:41PM +0000, Tony Travis wrote:
If you want me to name some important Bioconductor packages I use
then I suggest "simpleaffy" and its dependencies:

   http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.6/bioc/html/simpleaffy.html

Out of curiosity, I hacked a script (quick and dirty) that gathers
dependancy information from the Packages file of Steffen's cran2deb
repository[1] and draws a dependency graph that can be processed
with dot. An example output is attached.[2] It also gives some stats
on stderr about how many packages depend on a package. Dunno whether
or not this is useful, though.

Hi, Manuel.

Well, I think that it's very useful - Thanks!

Dashed entries are BioConductor packages, solid ones are from CRAN.
From the later, only r-cran-rsqlite is not yet in Debian. In order
to package r-bioc-simpleaffy, one CRAN package and 11 BioConductor
packages need to be packaged. One could start from the source
packages created by cran2deb. I'm not a user of BioConductor myself
but if there are a few people willing to work on that, I'd volunteer
to help with reviews and uploads. The packages should be beginner
friendly, so maybe someone would like to pick those up?!

My original idea was to re-package the Bioconductor packages that are required by GenePattern for Debian/Ubuntu. This would require quite a lot of packages, and their dependencies, to be re-packaged. However, now that we have a way of automatically creating source packages with cran2deb it might be a tractable proposition to prepare the sub-set of Bioconductor packages needed for GenePattern for submission to Debian.

My objective is to package GenePattern for Debian/Ubuntu, using the existing CRAN packages in Debian/Ubuntu to satisfy dependencies. I'm still waiting for the Broad Institute to tell us under what licence we can redistribute GenePattern, but they are interested in our efforts.

Bye,

  Tony.