Re: Packaging r-bioc-simpleaffy

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 08:55:28PM +0100, Manuel Prinz wrote:
> Out of curiosity, I hacked a script (quick and dirty) that gathers
> dependancy information from the Packages file of Steffen's cran2deb
> repository[1] and draws a dependency graph that can be processed
> with dot. An example output is attached.[2] It also gives some stats
> on stderr about how many packages depend on a package. Dunno whether
> or not this is useful, though.

Cool! :-)

> Dashed entries are BioConductor packages, solid ones are from CRAN.
> >From the later, only r-cran-rsqlite is not yet in Debian. In order
> to package r-bioc-simpleaffy, one CRAN package and 11 BioConductor
> packages need to be packaged. One could start from the source
> packages created by cran2deb. I'm not a user of BioConductor myself
> but if there are a few people willing to work on that, I'd volunteer
> to help with reviews and uploads. The packages should be beginner
> friendly, so maybe someone would like to pick those up?!

I'd really like to recommend this as beginners task because on one hand
you have the cran2deb source packages on the other hand you have several
R packages in our SVN.  So it should be a copy-paste-modify like task
which has some lerning effect for newcomers but might be a bit boring
for people who might use their skills for more difficult tasks.

Any takers?