Re: How to properly integrate cran2deb into Debian?

Hi,

probably not the right list, debian-science list comes rather to mind
because Dirk Eddelbuettel (in CC) is also reading there.  So please move
to this list in case you want to continue discussing this issue.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:54:52AM +0100, Manuel Prinz wrote:
> Anyway, the question to me boils down to the one in the subject: How can
> we properly integrate cran2deb-built packages into Debian? There are a
> lot of useful packages in CRAN, and even if we're mostly concerned about
> BioConductor at the moment, it would be nice to have the whole CRAN in
> Debian.

Probably yes because we have a better grip on Dependencies.

> The main problem I see is the copyright review. This is not done in
> cran2deb (not for every file, at least) and probably the main concern
> for ftp-master. I'm not sure how to solve that properly. Maybe a file
> with checksums of all files in a tarball signed by a DD might suffice.
> Or a signed debian/copyright file. (Just brain-storming.)

I once suggested a similar brain-stormish idea to Dirk (IMHO in PM some
years ago).  Yes, the copyright issue is the hardest reason why
automatic builds can not go into Debian.  However, we could consider
manually written copyright files step by step for packages in our interest
and trigger a move to official Debian in case this file exists.  I do
not think that any signed checksums are needed.

> Given that ftp-masters meet next month, it might be a good point for
> their agenda? I could bring this up and maybe even meet with them to
> discuss that, as they meet "just around the corner". Anyone interested?

I'd consider this a good idea.  However, you should definitely
coordinate with Dirk.  IMHO it makes no sense to convince ftpmaster to
accept something if the main person who is involved into cran2deb
refuses to do something into this direction.