How to properly integrate cran2deb into Debian?

First of all, this is very good news! Thanks to everyone involved for
the effort!

Am Freitag, den 18.02.2011, 11:35 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:
> For the addition to /etc/apt/sources.d, I think I recall that something similar
> was discussed on debian-devel@l.d.o or debian-mentors@l.d.o recently, and the
> feeling was strongly negative, see http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2010/11/msg00174.html
> (Sorry that I could not find this reference faster and reply to an earlier email you sent)

Right, adding entries to /e/a/sources.list.d is a big no-no. This is and
should stay the administrators domain. The only viable approach here is
to create a package for this single file and make sure that *no* other
packages depend on it, so it does *not* get pulled in automatically. The
key to the respective repository could be added as well. But that is
just for convenience. It is basically a no-brainer to add that repo. And
it's not an issue for live-systems such as BioLinux, as they can
customize their system as they please.

Anyway, the question to me boils down to the one in the subject: How can
we properly integrate cran2deb-built packages into Debian? There are a
lot of useful packages in CRAN, and even if we're mostly concerned about
BioConductor at the moment, it would be nice to have the whole CRAN in

The main problem I see is the copyright review. This is not done in
cran2deb (not for every file, at least) and probably the main concern
for ftp-master. I'm not sure how to solve that properly. Maybe a file
with checksums of all files in a tarball signed by a DD might suffice.
Or a signed debian/copyright file. (Just brain-storming.)

>From a technical point of view, this might be (relatively) easy, as the
source packages could be pulled and build via the buildd network. But
maybe there's complexity involved that I don't see right now.

Given that ftp-masters meet next month, it might be a good point for
their agenda? I could bring this up and maybe even meet with them to
discuss that, as they meet "just around the corner". Anyone interested?

Best regards,