Re: Removal of data on purge (Was: OpenMRS package is ready, I believe)

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 10:17:37AM -0700, misha680 wrote:

> So here's the OpenMRS story - perhaps you have some opinions, but I see this
> as paralleling gnumed, specifically:
> * when we _install_ the package, _no_ databases are created
> * when we _purge_ the package, _no_ databases are erased
>
> The databases themselves are created by the user in the initial setup wizard
> that they run by going to
> http://localhost:8080/openmrs

So they are user content. Absolutely. Don't delete them.

This is very much like deleting user home pages when
deinstalling Apache.

> p.s. From a programming viewpoint, we could certainly removed the databases.
> However, from a practical viewpoint, I am guessing that not all OpenMRS
> implementers are 100% experts in computers and Linux. I could easily see
> someone getting confused, purging a package, and then being whoops all my
> medical records are gone! forever...

Absolutely !  Don't. Or if at all - offer an option to do
so, have the user confirm at least twice with BIG FAT
warnings and still stow away a secret backup somewhere.

> p.p.s. I just checked and even purging mysql does not actually remove
> database data:

Same with PostgreSQL.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346