Removal of data on purge (Was: OpenMRS package is ready, I believe)

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 09:28:47AM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> I think it is considered good practice to not remove
> database data files due to them being considered user
> content despite that being stored in a system directory.

Probably it is good practice to *remove* a package if you want some
content saved.  If you say *purge* you should get a *purge* of anything
created by the program (because you asked for it).

Remark: I do not even try to accomplish this for GNUmed server package.
The rationale behind this is that the local admin *manually* creates the
database (according to the advise in README.Debian).  Anything an admin
has done *manually* should not be undone by package removal and moreover
I do not really have a save chance to do so because this would include
wild guessing which name the admin has given the database (which can be
different from the default name).

There is probably no clear borderline between data a package
automatically creates and admin-/user-created databases and so there is
some space for a decision of the maintainer to remove data or not.  It
might be that as a user would prefer the safer way to keep the data but
you can not expect this.  If you ask the package manager to purge you
should definitely expect a purge of the database.