Re: Removal of data on purge (Was: OpenMRS package is ready, I believe)

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 10:17:37AM -0700, misha680 wrote:

> Thus, it seems based on your comments below re gnumed and README.Debian,
> that since the user is creating the database, they should remove them as
> well.
>
> Or am I misinterpreting?

Well, my intention was to apply some common sense to a general rule and
that the final decision is on the maintainer who knows his users
(hopefully) best.

> p.s. From a programming viewpoint, we could certainly removed the databases.
> However, from a practical viewpoint, I am guessing that not all OpenMRS
> implementers are 100% experts in computers and Linux. I could easily see
> someone getting confused, purging a package, and then being whoops all my
> medical records are gone! forever...

This does not make my point void:  Purge means purge and it just means
that everything will vanish.  Users should absolutely expect this.

> p.p.s. I just checked and even purging mysql does not actually remove
> database data:

There is no explicite advise in the policy or developers reference -
just the discussion on the mailing list.  So you will find several
packages which disrespect this advise.