Re: bio-das.* (was Re: New upstream release of GBrowse)

Hi Anthony,

(I don't need to CC you explicitly, right?

Anthony Boureux wrote:

> Charles Plessy a écrit :
>> Le Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:52:57AM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :
>> Hello Anthony, I just added your guest account to the debian-med
>> Alioth project.
>> Welcome again :)
>>
>> GBroswe 1.70 was released a few days ago, and I supsect that some of
>> the perl
>> modules you are preparing are some if its new dependancies. Can you
>> file ‘RFP’
>> bugs for them, to avoid potential duplication of work?
>
> I will be please to file 'RFP' bugs for some packages.
> First,
> When I join, I thought to package bio-das-lite needed by
> bio-das-proserver, but when I checked in the BTS for bio-das.* : I found
> that Steffen Moeller already did some work on bio-das-proserver (see
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=525847). Also he put a
> first version for libbio-das-perl. So before to put RFP bugs, I like to
> known if it's ok for him that I take
>     libbio-das-proserver : because I use it and already packaged
> and    libbio-das : need by Gbrowse

this is all very old very initial stuff back from 2001 or so, please override/reuse ad
libitum.

> Unfortunately, for my first package, I need your help:
>  libbio-das-proserver is a DAS server with adaptors for different data
> sources. In one of these sources (proxy.pm) the library bio-das-lite is
> required, but this last one need the paralleluseragent and this one
> works only with libwww-perl <= 5.76, nut lenny is already in 5.813. The
> author of parallel-user-agent doesn't recommend to use libwww higher
> than 5.76. Indeed, when I packaged parallel-user-agent : the tests
> scripts are not working. (In my server, I make the package without doing
> the tests, but it's only local and I don't use the proxy source for the
> bio-das-proserver).
> So I think I can't package parallel-user-agent, it can't be use on any
> debian distribution. I didn't ask the author, but the last release was
> in 2004 and I don't think he will do some adjustment/correction now
> and so I can't package libbio-das-lite.

I agree that this sounds much like you performing upstream work if you fix this
incompatibility. What you might want to address is packaging a libwww-perl5.76 package,
presuming that other packages are similarly incompatible.

We should collect such cases on some web page, say for a future Google summer of Code
project that would be called "bring unmaintained scientific software up to using the
latest APIs".

> solution 1/ to package libbio-das-proserver for now, is to remove the
> dependency for libbio-das-lite and so remove the adaptor source
> proxy.pm, and put a message in the package that this source was removed.

I would start with that. Would there be a way to leave the orig.tar.gz intact? Since
upstream does not change any more, you'd otherwise need to introduce an epoch version
number at some later time when you found a fix ... not dramatic, just not nice.

> solution 2/ I don't care of errors in test scripts perl and I package
> anyway.

Hm. Until you know what the problem is, I'd refrain from that. If the test is wrong, then
of course it does not matter ...

> solution 3/  the best solution will be the author of
> libbio-das-proserver remove the dependency for libbio-das-lite (same
> author as libbio-das-proserver) may be by using libbio-das or change the
> dependency for parallel-user-agent in libbio-das-lite.

You might want to contact him and ask.

Best,

Steffen