Re: [Fwd: bio-das.* (was Re: New upstream release of GBrowse)]

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer and your reactivity to all of you.
I answered to Andy (inside the mail) and I have some questions for the
debian-med team at the end of this (long) mail.

Andy Jenkinson a écrit :
Hi all,

ProServer is a DAS server library, and the dependency on Bio::Das::Lite is, as you have seen, purely in the proxy SourceAdaptor. It is a very niche part of the server, and by no means -needs- to be included in the build. However, it is not an ideal situation to silently remove it, I think.

I would not remove it silently, it will be write with the documentation
in the package.

This and many other dependencies (e.g. the Ensembl API, BioPerl) are completely optional, and so I think the best solution would be to make ProServer configurable when building the Makefile and have certain optional parts turned off by default. This would be a good change to make anyway, since people are often confused by the requirements, thinking they are all required despite the make process
 identifying them as optional. Does this feasible, and something
you'd be interested in contributing?

Configuration during the building process is not really simple, because
debian provide binary packages to its users. But to accommodate all
dependencies in source adaptor/transport, I can build sub-package which
will provide dependency to Bioperl, DBI, Ensembl API (this one has to be
packaged first) for each different sources (4 at this time).
ie:
libbio-das-proserver-bioperlsource-perl
libbio-das-proserver-dbisource-perl
libbio-das-proserver-ensemblsource-perl
libbio-das-proserver-proxysource-perl, this one will be not working,
because of the dependency to Parallel::UA, until Bio::Das::Lite doesn't
depend to Parallel::UA (see below).

By the way, there are plans to remove Parallel::UA from Bio::Das::Lite, but nothing concrete yet.

It will be the best solution for me.
After some research on the net, it seems that Parallel::UA will not work
easily with LWP >5.76. This bug was already reported
(http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=40261).
Nonetheless, I try to apply a patch (used in Bio::Das::Lite) to make
Parallel::UA working directly in Parallel::UA package : but I got the
following error :
"Deep recursion on subroutine "LWP::Parallel::UserAgent::request" at
/usr/share/perl5/LWP/Authen/Basic.pm line 40, <DAEMON> line 1.
until one of script freeze.

So, I don't think I can do more about Parallel::UA. What I saw in
Bio::Das::Lite code, it's too much work, and outside my competence in
perl, for me to use something else instead of Parallel::UA.

Cheers, Andy