Re: dentist software

> >> Usually a professor's interest in a project lives only as long as
> funding flows.
>
> I need to contradict here. If you are not interested int the work, then
> you are not
> interested in the work, be there funding flowing or not. You are claiming
> that the
> interest may only go where the money is. It is different - those
> professors that only go
> for the money are driven by despair or some other negative energy. And if
> that is the
> case, the interst already ends when the grant got through, which is even
> before the money
> has arrived.
You are certainly right. What I meant to say is that *commitment* ends
when the funding stops. The interest does not stop because otherwise
the funded commitment would not have happened in the first place. And
this is quite logical: University Depts NEED funding and hence professors
CANNOT stay committed to something (large) that is not funded (adequately).

> probably not specify any such bachelor thesis myself either. But I (not a
> professor but
> working much like one) would not turn down anyone who is eager to address
> any such
> development and contacts me about it. We would find some research question
> to address for
> which that kind of a system needs to be addressed (some clinical study for
> instance) or we
> find some other challenge (comparison of effects of various cost
> accounting principles or
> of some policital regulations) that requires such a development.
I have yet to meet any university commitment under such terms which has
led to a software component of use and maintainability beyond the scope
of the subject of study in question. Again, been there, done that, several
times, and with people genuinely interested in the field. However, I can
still only speak from my limited personal experience.

> * ontology (or controlled vocabulary) to describe teeth and actions
> perfomed on them
> * graphical representation of the different teeth (or the location at
> which there once
> were teeth) and their defects
> * data management as for other medical disciplines?
> * ...?
> And there need to be regular updates for
> * billing to privately insure or non-insured individuals
> * billing to regularly insured individuals, communication to insurance
> companies
> that may depend not only on the country but also on the overall state that
> the patient is
> in (infant, pregnancy, .. donno).
>
> How should Open Source know about all that without close contact to
> dentists?
It only works by having dentists among developers and specs people.

> Isn't there some Dentist union to contact about it?
There is, in each and every country. But they (if they are anything like the
"Doctor's union" in Germany) are less than interested - or rather don't
understand the problem domain and (one of) its solution(s). Once more:
been there, done that, as far as doctors are concerned. Trust me, I am one.

I'd love to be proven wrong but so far it's been a sad state of affairs.

Karsten
--
Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a