Re: dentist software

> I'd like to stress how unique your position is, David. You should not spend too much
> time on coding.
I fully agree with that.

> Rather help with some insightful guidance to specify the minimal complexity of a
> system that could be considered useful. Publish that somewhere. Indicate what is
> there, what needs to be changed and what needs to be addressed.
That is certainly very useful.

> I am fairly confident that there will be students in Medical Informatics
> or elsewhere that
> would be interested to adopt some work in the larger puzzle for their
> bachelor thesis or
> so.
While that thought certainly seems logical you'd be surprised how little that approach
seems to actually work in practice. Been there, done that, had/have the specs. Unless you
are the professor of a medical IT dept. you don't get the chance to involve a significant
amount of students for significant amount of times.

Usually a professor's interest in a project lives only as long as funding flows.

Usually a student's interest only spans the duration of a thesis or other assignment.

Students often detest working to specs doing which they are taught as best practice in their
courses where they may *have* to do it. Why would they spend their spare time working
to specs they didn't even have the freedom to write to their liking ?

Seasoned developers with an interest in medical IT and the time to do it are few
and far between. Most of those are interested in writing HIS rather than struggling
with the petty needs of your grass-roots GP or dentist office. Unless those
come with a high visibility factor. Buzzwords are "developing country", "HIV screening",
"remote health worker", "OLPC re-purposing", "mobile phone networking" etc.

No, we need to do it ourselves (and get belittled by some IT people
who feel they are in the know).

So, in a way I can fully understand David's desire. Given his current involvement in other
areas, however, I dare think he might be better off spending his time on those.

Karsten