Re: RFC: packaging layout for Odin

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, David Paleino wrote:

Significant increase in workload for a number of people due to 'what if
a random...'

What's wrong in:

Probably upstream should be educated on a better usage of this, [..]

? :)

It is actually one part of beeing a Debian Maintainer.

Maybe I'm just too confident in upstream's education?

Well, it is different in practice, but I have quite good experiences
in most cases.  Eductaion by patches works normally very well.

As I said -- that is my oppinion, but since you package -- you decide.

I don't really like this kind of replies, I'm one who always tries to find a
common ground.

It is not always possible to find a common ground and the Do-o-cracy
principle just gives you permission to decide about the things you are
doing.  IMHO there was no offense involved in Michaels comments.

What if we add the -doc package to odin's Recommends:, and provide symlinks
in /usr/share/odin/ ?

That's fine - even putting stuff from the odin-doc package directly
in /usr/share/odin/ is fine (and frequently used in other packages).

Also, I'm thinking of adding a README.Debian with the information from
http://od1n.sourceforge.net/sequences.html , and a debian/NEWS (which should
pop up upon installation) informing users to read in /usr/share/doc/.../ how to
use the templates.

Providing good information is always recommended.

The idea of debian/NEWS is not bad at all IMHO: we could warn users "Hey, if you
want templates, install odin-doc"

I'd think this is missuse of NEWS.  I have often seen mails on debian-devel
where people became angry about such misuse because they force admins to
read stuff which is not really interesting for them.  README.Debian is
fine and we should always educate our users to read this file.