Re: RFC: packaging layout for Odin (was: Re: Status of ODIN, VISTA and friends)

Hi,

see below....

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 03:07:27PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:32:42 +0100, David Paleino wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 22:39:38 +0100, Michael Hanke wrote:
> >
> > > [..]
> > > On a related issue there is also still unpackaged ODIN [2]. There had
> > > been an RFP [3] and some activity by David, but the current status is
> > > not clear to me. I had a quick look at it today and it looks like an
> > > easy target. It would definitely be worth to packaging it -- anyone
> > > working on that one?
> >
> > Just FYI, I've started working to package ODIN.
>
> Ok, now with some real issues.
>
> ODIN provides a quantity of libraries, development headers, documentation and
> binaries, which I'm trying to split in proper Debian packages.
>
> In /usr/lib/ we can find:
>
> $ ls -1 *.so
> libodindata.so
> libodinpara.so
> libodinqt.so
> libodinseq.so
> libtjutils.so
> $
>
> Those libraries carry their own include headers as well:
>
> $ ls -1d ../include/*
> ../include/odindata
> ../include/odinpara
> ../include/odinqt
> ../include/odinseq
> ../include/tjutils
> $
>
> It seems like I should create these packages:
>
> libodindata1, libodindata-dev, libodindata1-dbg
> libodinpara1, libodinpara-dev, libodinpara1-dbg
> libodinqt1, libodinqt-dev, libodinqt1-dbg
> libodinseq1, libodinseq-dev, libodinseq1-dbg
> libtjutils1, libtjutils-dev, libtjutils1-dbg
>
> (only the libraries, they sum up to 15 packages -- and yes, the -dbg ones are
> IMHO needed, we don't want our non-developer-users to recompile stuff on their
> own, right?)
>
> Then we have:
>
> $ ls ../bin/
> gencoil      gensample  micalc  miview  odinreco       pulsar
> genmakefile  geoedit    miconv  odin    odintestsuite  swab
> $
>
> These might go into a single "odin" package, if you agree.
>
> Then there is /usr/share/doc/odin/:
>
> $ tree
> .
> `-- doc
>     `-- odin
>         |-- coils
>         |   |-- Array8Channel.coi
>         |   `-- radialInhomogen.coi
>         |-- samples
>         |   |-- brain_128x128.smp
>         |   |-- disk_128x128.smp
>         |   |-- frequency_dist.smp
>         |   |-- point_spread_function.smp
>         |   `-- qualityPhantom_128x128.smp
>         `-- sequences
>             |-- odinepi.cpp
>             |-- odinfisp.cpp
>             |-- odingrech.cpp
>             |-- odinmdeft.cpp
>             |-- odinonep.cpp
>             |-- odinpilot.cpp
>             |-- odinquant.cpp
>             |-- odinrare.cpp
> [...]
Please _don't_.

All those libs are similar to plugins and there to be linked against the
compiled sequences created with odin -- that happens when users use
ODIN. I cannot say for sure, but I'd suspect that they have no other
use, hence should go into the 'odin' package itself.

Additionally, I'd say that everything you have listed under doc/ is a
little more than that. I consider it more of a library of snippets to
play with when developing sequences. I'd put it under /usr/share/odin in
the sense of data files.

Without looking again, I see nothing that would demand even two binary packages
-- just 'odin' itself.

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke