Re: RFS: adun.app (updated package)

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 08:32:35AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> I had to reboot (for some different reason) and now I can run UL
> nicely.

Rebooting cleans up /tmp/GNUstepSecure1000/ which is part of the
problem I mentioned.  For the curious, an incomplete summary can be
read at <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=426637#43>.
Some of my conclusions there are wrong, and the patch is definitely
wrong.  I am still debugging this from time to time and have not given
up.  Unfortunately, for upstream this is not a bug but rather a
mystery doesn't worth solving, and that's why gdnc(1) recommends
launching the gdnc daemon upon login or X session startup.

> If I start UL a gdnc process is startet automatically.  In case I
> quit the application this process is automatically quitted as well.

This is the expected and correct behaviour.

> On the other box where I reported the problems yesterday the
> situation is different:
>
>    1. I start UL
[...]
>        Aborted
>    4. The gdnc proces remains!

Right, this only confirms my suspicion.  This gdnc instance is not
functional.

> So well, I would say you actually were lucky and I'm now at least on
> one machine. :)

This specific problem happens mostly to occasional users like you,
since regular GNUsteppers already have gdnc running.  This makes the
bug even more important to me, personally.

> adun.app has increased the number of users by about a factor 4 in
> October last year (I would like to find out the reason for this
> abrupt increase.

IIRC, there were some papers published how Adun is a revolution in
scientific application design, and its modularity and rapid
development have no match, etc, etc, stuff like that.  I don't know
if this is true, or just the usual thing when developers praise their
own program.  Anyway, this is a mere speculation on my part, I don't
know the real reason why the number of Debian users increased.

> So I would vote for risking an upload of the new package to unstable
> and hope for more user input.

I agree; it can't be worse than the version in sid which has 2 RC bugs
plus another one soon to become RC.  It can't be built and the package
is not installable, since it depends on the old GNUstep libraries.
Plus it is not yet rebuilt on mipsel for the libgsl0ldbl transition :/

> In case the problem can be found on more than my single box we will
> get RC bugs which leaves adun.app out of testing.

Only if we can't fix them in reasonable time.

> BTW, I was able to solve the gnustep-make build problem by using

Aha, so you're getting an error when make reads debian/rules and that
file is not present.  It is better to ignore this by prepending a
minus `-' sign before the include, because this

> ifdef GS_MAKE_DIR
> include /usr/share/GNUstep/debian/config.mk
> endif

is wrong.  GS_MAKE_DIR is defined in this file, so this will cause
config.mk to be never include'd.  As a result, the make conditional in
the binary-arch target will always be false.