Re: Please, stop abusing ddtss/DDTP

On 15-12-2007 22:13, David Paleino wrote:
> Il giorno Sun, 16 Dec 2007 00:00:13 +0100 Martijn van Oosterhout ha scritto:
>>
>> Even if the bug you suggest exists (can't test now and it worked last I
>> tried), it is still wrong to fetch, even without force. It's unfair to small
>> translation teams to put stuff on their list. That's not your decision.
>>
>> [..] but fetching of any kind by a robot like this is wrong, no matter what.
>
> Why not trying to solve the problem together then?

	We are trying to do that since the beginning.

> Is there any way to have an "edit" link which first fetches the package and
> then redirects to the edit page?

	Let's really work on the problem, so far, I'm not quite sure
about what exactly what you are trying to do. If you just want to
provide your users a quick list of links to easy click and get to
the package translation, then we are doing this wrong. We have the
way to provide you this feature and then we can keep our API/ABI
without broken your scripts.

	As we told you before, your script parses the DDTSS interface
and that fetches files, right now, DDTSS is under migration, there
are quite a few things changing and we couldn't reproduce the behavior,
and we can't do that until i18n.d.n got online next week.

	So, as I see it, we have a few things to check:

1) DDTSS and fetch

	Check if DDTSS and its fetch behavior could be changed,
	it is desired that translators are allowed to fetch the
	desired packages even if it is translated, and we don't
	want to add more clicks on it, we want to keep it simple.

2) Debian-Med wishlist

	Bring the features Debian-Med wants to DDTP/DDTSS so we
	can provide this service to other projects, like
	Debian-Lex and Debian Science.

> The fetch is done just to ensure that clicking on the "edit" link (which
> is in our summary table) doesn't trigger a "Sorry, description not found"
> message. It would be very trivial by your side, but would require a lot of
> parsing/code/work on mine.

	As I said, we can work to provide that kind of list on
our side, some sort of "group package" feature, that could allow
to see the statistics, using the DDTP backed in a much more
elegant way. The DDTSS was not designed to be used as a interface
to "summary tables", it can be expanded without doubt, but it
sounds much more interested to have "summary tables" merged in
our infrastructure.

	Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)