Re: Please, stop abusing ddtss/DDTP

Il giorno Sat, 15 Dec 2007 22:59:19 -0200
"Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)" <faw@debian.org> ha scritto:

> On 15-12-2007 22:13, David Paleino wrote:
> > Il giorno Sun, 16 Dec 2007 00:00:13 +0100 Martijn van Oosterhout ha scritto:
> >>
> >> [..] but fetching of any kind by a robot like this is wrong, no matter
> >> what.
> >
> > Why not trying to solve the problem together then?
>
> 	We are trying to do that since the beginning.

Martijn's reply sounded kinda hostile to me, but probably it's just because I'm
a bit tired :(. No worries then :)

> 	As we told you before, your script parses the DDTSS interface

Wrong, it doesn't. -.-'. Should I explain you again? The statistics are drawn
by parsing Translation-<lang> files. Not DDTSS. Seems like we're speaking
different languages here. And this makes me worried :'(

> and that fetches files

...just not to have a "description not found" page.

What I'm asking is just a "edit.cgi?package=<foo>" script which checks if the
description must be fetched (and does it), otherwise points to the edit form.
It doesn't seem that difficult :(

> right now, DDTSS is under migration, there are quite a few things changing
> and we couldn't reproduce the behavior, and we can't do that until i18n.d.n
> got online next week.

That's ok, I'll also have some more time on these Christmas holidays.

> 	So, as I see it, we have a few things to check:

> 2) Debian-Med wishlist
>
> 	Bring the features Debian-Med wants to DDTP/DDTSS so we
> 	can provide this service to other projects, like
> 	Debian-Lex and Debian Science.

In fact, my script wasn't intended to be Debian-Med's only. In general, we're a
"prototype" of what other CDDs could use in the future.

> 	As I said, we can work to provide that kind of list on
> our side, some sort of "group package" feature,

That shouldn't be a list; that would require a bit more work of just the
"edit.cgi?..." I was mentioning before.

> that could allow to see the statistics, using the DDTP backed in a much more
> elegant way. The DDTSS was not designed to be used as a interface
> to "summary tables", it can be expanded without doubt, but it
> sounds much more interested to have "summary tables" merged in
> our infrastructure.

Sure. But this would be a future wishlist item IMHO; it's not desired by
everyone (AFAICT, only Debian-Med is using such a feature right now. Would it
deserve the effort of integrating it into DDTSS' infrastructure?)

Have a nice day|night,
David

P.S.: I understand that in some sentences I might sound rude; please forgive
me, it's 2.09 am here, and I'm not that able to rephrase my thoughts ;)

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer |  http://snipurl.com/qa_page
 : :'  :  Linuxer #334216  |  http://www.hanskalabs.net/