Re: Staden Package (Was: DebConf report)

Dear all,

I tried to package staden some time ago for work and ran in the same
Tcl/Tk problem. I finally got blocked by the fact that Staden uses a
"compatibility" file from the source Tk distribution, which is not
included in the Debian package:

[I did not realise the maintainer was not active this year... Shall we
NMU ?]

I have seen on some newsgroups, such as bionet.software.staden, people
trying to install (often on Ubuntu), and having problems getting the
build dependancies correct. Definitely, having Staden in Debian (and
therefore Ubuntu) would increase its userbase.

To my knowledge here is no decent free (libre) chromatogram viewer for
Unix, except in Staden. Compared to the closed-source freeware
competitors on other platforms (FinchTV, 4peaks [based on... Staden's
iolib]), it does not look modern, but since there is no alternative, I
am sure that a Debian package for Staden will have users.

Also, it would be definitely very important to diffuse libre tools which
can deal with XXI century sequencing systems, because enormous amounts
of data will be produced, and it would really be a shame that one has to
purchase proprietary software to access raw data.

[Andreas, it may be too late, but I will send you my patches monday when
I get back to work, where the files are...]

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org