Re: DebConf report

On 29 Jun 2007, at 1:26 pm, Andreas Tille wrote:

BTW, I'm currently have a look at staden

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/staden

which is a little bit cumbersome in accepting that people might
have installed things like zlib, libpng, tcl/tk etc on their box.
It needs strange patching of variables.  Do you have by chance any
experience (or anybody else).

We (Simon and I) know James (the author of gap4, and current maintainer of the whole Staden package) well. The reason everything is included with gap4 is to make it easier to support. There are subtle differences of behaviour between various versions of Tcl and Tk, and so when he found a version that actually worked properly for gap4, he bundled it with gap4, so that when an error report comes in, he knows exactly what someone is running. Otherwise, his ability to debug problems will be very limited, and he is the *only* programmer on the Staden project any more, and what's more it's not his main job -- his main job is writing assembly software for the new generation of sequencing technology.

While it would probably be possible to package Staden in the normal Debian way, I think we'd find it difficult to get James on board. I'll ask him about it when I see him at work next week.

Tim

--
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.