Re: Public Domain Drug Database?

> For transcribing one doesn't need all of the information - just the
> spelling and possibly use (to see if the medication fits to context).
> This, however, is insufficient for a medical doctor.

For generating prescriptions I need
 - name
 - acting compounds
 - strength
 - packaging details
 - price
 - regular and timely updates

> There are some of these online. They're basically the Prescribing
> Information html'ized (it looks verbatim or extremely close to
> it). Some of these are very thorough.
Seems like a big hassle to aggregate them.

> What if each drug were described in XML and we built a schema that the
Nice, but the problem lies in "What if ...".

> provide some rudimentry checks though not thorough. OTOH, if a drug
> database was somehow linked to patient records it may be possible to
> allow a user, such as a nurse or a "trusted client" to enter the raw
> data in his/herself.
End users (say medical staff) are likely to want to use drug
information not provide it. And most certainly not during
their normal work routine, I would assume.

> I suppose, though, that a benefit for a doctor is if he or she could
> diagnose a patient with, say, an ICD9 code. Using this code then looks
> up all the medications in the DB whose indications are the same ICD9.
> So, the drug information itself would have to be ICD9-coded (I
> suppose; I have yet to take that course and know little of ICD9).
Part of the can be achieved by applying the ATC classification
(Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical) to the drug data.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346