Re: Public Domain Drug Database?

> Hi,
>
> I've been toying with the idea of writing a medication rating system
> that is an online web application in which users are able to give
> comments about medications that they have used. One of it's features
> is to allow people to enter in new medications if it is not currently
> available. For this, though, they must enter in certain requirements,
> such as the name of the drug and it's manufacturer.
That would make for an easy way to retrieve basic drug
information. Albeit, I suspect, it would be of low quality and
would have to be double-checked to be of use.

> The goal was to make it useful in that if a person were considering
> taking a medication they could easily check the comments of other
> people and it see it's "satisfaction rating" from -10 - 10 (negatives
> being "this is a bad drug!").
I wonder what implications on (real, scientific !) quality of
care this would have !?! Would it increase of decrease
compliance ?? Very interesting indeed.

> If it gained any popularity, the drug
> information itself would naturally grow as more and more users enter
> in new medications to rate.
A mere listing of available drugs is most likely relatively
easy to obtain. It'll more an order of magnitude more
difficult to get interaction data, dosage, packaging info etc.

Any thoughts ?

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346