Re: E-Mail connectivity for doctors

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Updating virus definitions clearly _is_ a security fix as it
> decreases vulnerability of a system.
For sure.  But you might be aware of the situation that many Debian
developers do not like non-free software and the security fix is not
inside the Debian installer package (which might be free) but in
the non-free stuff it installs.  I do not really share this
objections against non-free but this is a known fast and we should
not relay on things which could probably cause trouble.

> >     The alternative would be a
> >     separate apt-get - able archive.
> This is to be desired. However, I wonder if they had any
> objections. (I know, I need not wonder. I merely need to ask
> them.)
I think you do not have to ask anybody.  We just have to find any
http + ftp server in our hands to install this stuff.

> >   - Install a cron job which regularly checks f-prot homepage.
> >     There is a utility named "uscan" which is able to scan
> >     upstream hosts for new versions according to a regular expression.
> >     I recently heard that it works perfectly but did not try myself.
> Any URLs ?

wr-linux02:~> which uscan
/usr/bin/uscan
wr-linux02:~> dpkg -S /usr/bin/uscan
devscripts: /usr/bin/uscan

So
       apt-get install devscripts
or
       apt-get source devscripts
would suffice.  You know - the important stuff for system maintainance is
just included in Debian.  We just can relay on it and build the medical
stuff onto it.

> > It's not the kind of job for people like me who do not have any
> > used DOS/Win partitions which are target for those stupid viruses
> ;-)).
> Also very useful for shared data space such as via Samba.
For sure.  The intention of my posting was that somebody should care
about the program who has a *real* testsuite for it.  This is not me. :)

> Do you think we might run into problems because f-prot isn't
> free (as in beer) for commercial use ?
In my opinion you can compare it to realplayer.  We just have to
make sure that an installer once it is written by somebody states
very clearly under which conditions it is free of charge and can
be used.  We could contact debian-legal for this question.