Re: Draft announce of Debian 6 LTS, please review quickly

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 3:01 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2014, Matt Palmer wrote:
>> Why list the companies, but not the volunteers?
>
> Because:
> - it would become unmanageable and hard to read
> - listing companies is a way to make them accountable of their promise
>   (i.e. "thank you for the promise, now is the time to deliver!")
> - companies are usually much more interested in public visibility in PR than
>   individuals developers
> - listing volunteers that promised to help but did not do anything yet seems
>   wrong to me

In that vain, it doesn't make to list companies that haven't
contributed anything yet either.

Why not put up a wiki page that can get continuously updated, and
actually show  which companies have in fact contributed?

> YMMV.
>
> That said this PR is certainly not meant to belittle the contribution of
> individual volunteers. But like Moritz I tend to believe that LTS will not
> work out very well without sponsored help so this PR has certainly been drafted
> in that direction.
>
> As a compromise, I created a wiki page listing all the members of the LTS
> team and putting a link to this wiki page on that part of the sentence.

> | href="https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Team";>volunteers who joined the LTS
> | team</a> and the organizations which expressed their interest to
> | contribute to the LTS initiative:
> | [list of companies]

I think this is where things like Freexian should be mentioned, not in
the announcement.  People should list there the packages and types
that they work on, and anyone interested in paying for support for
that type of work click on their link to a contact to the supporting
company, which may be Freexian (or something else).

I am also in the camp that thinks singling out Freexian as the support
entity in this announcement is immoral.

Best wishes,
Mike