Re: Draft announce of Debian 6 LTS, please review quickly

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014, Matt Palmer wrote:
> Why list the companies, but not the volunteers?

Because:
- it would become unmanageable and hard to read
- listing companies is a way to make them accountable of their promise
  (i.e. "thank you for the promise, now is the time to deliver!")
- companies are usually much more interested in public visibility in PR than
  individuals developers
- listing volunteers that promised to help but did not do anything yet seems
  wrong to me

YMMV.

That said this PR is certainly not meant to belittle the contribution of
individual volunteers. But like Moritz I tend to believe that LTS will not
work out very well without sponsored help so this PR has certainly been drafted
in that direction.

As a compromise, I created a wiki page listing all the members of the LTS
team and putting a link to this wiki page on that part of the sentence.

| href="https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Team";>volunteers who joined the LTS
| team</a> and the organizations which expressed their interest to
| contribute to the LTS initiative:
| [list of companies]

To everybody: please add yourself on https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Team
if you feel part of the team and if I missed you.

The latest version of the draft is attached. I won't be very reactive
this week-end as I'm playing in a badminton tournament. But I believe
that we have a good text already. Thank you everybody for your feedback!

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/
<define-tag pagetitle>Debian 6 debuts its long term support period</define-tag>
<define-tag release_date>2014-06-16</define-tag>
#use wml::debian::news
# $Id:

(LTS)</q> infrastructure to provide security updates for Debian GNU/Linux 6.0
(code name <q>squeeze</q>) until February 2016 is now in place. Users of
this version should follow the <a
href="https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Using";>instructions from the LTS wiki
page</a> to ensure that they get the LTS security updates.</p>

href="https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Team";>volunteers who joined the LTS
team</a> and the organizations which expressed their interest to
contribute to the LTS initiative:
and all the others who will join them in the coming months.</p>

needed: organizations benefiting from the extended support period are
encouraged to contribute manpower to the <a
href="https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Development";>LTS team</a>.

team, <a href="http://www.freexian.com";>Freexian</a> — a French company
owned by Debian Developer Raphaël Hertzog — offered to act as an intermediary
between organizations interested in funding LTS work, and individual Debian
contributors preparing LTS security updates. For more information, see
of their proposal</a>.</p>

of organizations exploring ways to help sustain the LTS project and
Debian in general.</p>

would also benefit from Long Term Support.</p>

href="https://wiki.debian.org/LTS";>Debian LTS project's wiki page</a>.</p>

<h2>About Debian</h2>

volunteer their time and effort in order to produce the completely free
operating system Debian.</p>

<h2>Contact Information</h2>

href="$(HOME)/">https://www.debian.org/</a>, send mail to
&lt;press@debian.org&gt;, or contact the LTS team at