Re: Draft announce of Debian 6 LTS, please review quickly

Hi,

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > Because:
> > - it would become unmanageable and hard to read
> > - listing companies is a way to make them accountable of their promise
> >   (i.e. "thank you for the promise, now is the time to deliver!")
> > - companies are usually much more interested in public visibility in PR than
> >   individuals developers
> > - listing volunteers that promised to help but did not do anything yet seems
> >   wrong to me
>
> In that vain, it doesn't make to list companies that haven't
> contributed anything yet either.

I think I have answered this just above. It's a way to make them
accountable of their promise by delivering what we can deliver in
exchange, i.e. a bit of publicity.

> Why not put up a wiki page that can get continuously updated, and
> actually show  which companies have in fact contributed?

You're welcome to do this. It would be a nice complement to see whether
companies followed through their promise. Note that in the case of
companies that contributed via Freexian, they are already listed publicly.

> I think this is where things like Freexian should be mentioned, not in
> the announcement.  People should list there the packages and types
> that they work on, and anyone interested in paying for support for
> that type of work click on their link to a contact to the supporting
> company, which may be Freexian (or something else).

I see that Jens updated the wiki page to list people paid to work on LTS
vs volunteers. I believe this is a bad way to separate the volunteers.
Nowhere else do we segregate volunteers on the basis of whether they are
paid or not. That said it's effectively a good idea to list there the
people who are available for hire so that companies willing to support
financially know who they can contact.

So I enhanced it further:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Team

> I am also in the camp that thinks singling out Freexian as the support
> entity in this announcement is immoral.

I respect your feelings but I believe that you're using quite strong
wordings to call this immoral. We tried to word it in a way to make it
clear that Freexian was not in a special position of favor from Debian
except for the fact that it's the only company who has setup such a scheme
to support the Debian LTS effort.

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > Why not put up a wiki page that can get continuously updated, and
> > actually show  which companies have in fact contributed?
>
> Better yet, why not state "This LTS update brought to you by company
> X, company Y, and company Z" in every relevant lts-announce message?
> That gives those companies a little publicity boost for every monetary
> contribution, which may be something some are looking for.

This is certainly doable for updates contributed by volunteers paid by a
single company, it's a bit more problematic in the case of people paid by
Freexian. But it could be done.

All your ideas are good but they would be far less effective than having
a clear message in the announce. So IMO they are a good complement to the
announce.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/