Re: Bits and pieces related to Lintian

On 2011-04-29 04:40, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> writes:
>
>> Next release
>> ============
>> To my knowledge, we do not have one planned.  Any suggestions?  Are
>> there any bugs/changes that you would like to see fixed or implemented
>> in the next version?
>
>> Personally, I got my eyes on #617991, #622888, #527026, #387166 and the
>> profile-proposal.  Nevertheless, I doubt I will get all of them done in
>> the near future (except those that already have patches :D ).
>
> I vote for removing the rc designation and kicking 2.5.0 out the door
> relatively soon with whatever people have a chance to get done.  We're
> being much more conservative right now about rc versions than I ever was.
> Version numbers are cheap -- we should use them up.  :)

Sure, I do not mind killing the ~rc part now, especially considering we
have not seen any more of the inconsistent prefixes. :)

I will go for finishing up the arch-dependent / multiple wildcard
(starting with only simple archs for now) overrides before the upload
then.  We can release 2.5.0 after 2.5.0~rc3 migrates to testing.

>> BTS cleaning
>> ============
>> We are currently just a few bugs shy of 200 unfixed bugs and we have
>> (mostly) stayed below 200 since early January (if you do not count
>> pending bugs).  While we have been able to keep the bug count down for
>> the past few months, we have accumulated nearly 60 new bugs since May
>> last year[BG].
>>   We have been doing a fair amount of work to keep this down, but
>> occasionally a bug or two slips through.  Unfortunately, there are a lot
>> of bugs, which I am not certain how to deal with.  In some cases there
>> is just the original report.  That being said, I have also seen bugs
>> with a bit of dialogue, where the report just ends with a lack of
>> conclusion.
>>   So I am hoping we could arrange some day to (re-)triage bugs or/and
>> simply just fix a lot of bugs. :D  Perhaps as a part of DebConf11?
>
> Yeah, typically there are oodles of wishlist bugs with an idea for some
> sort of check that requires a lot of thought and/or work to do properly
> and avoid false positives.  Those tend to accumulate without a lot of
> energy investment.  The only thing that really helps is more people.  I'm
> hopefully going to have more free time coming up, although Policy is in a
> similar state and I've been working on that first since no one else has
> really been committing there, whereas Lintian is at least treading water.

Not that it is helping Lintian or the policy, but DEP-7 also could use
your attention. :P

> It might be worth starting to use usertags for some of this, with a
> "pending design work" or "idea for new test requiring lots of work" or
> some similar kind of category so it's clear that those bugs are
> significant projects that are parked in the BTS until someone has a chance
> to work on them.

I think that might be a good idea, at least if it can help us find
"easy" vs "hard/time-consuming" bugs.

>> DebConf11
>> =========
>> Are there any plans for doing a Lintian BoF like last year or any other
>> Lintian event for that matter?  The official call for events is closing
>> in 8th of May (less than 2 weeks from now) as far as I understand.
>> Unlike the ad-hoc BoF last year - We might actually get it on video. ;)
>
>> Personally I plan to be present at DC11, but I have not bought a ticket yet.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't make it this year.  But the BoF was great last year
> and I definitely encourage the people who will be there to have one!

Hopefully you will be able to attend next time. :)

>> Roll call
>> =========
>> I have had a look at the list of current uploaders as well as the alioth
>> project page[AliPro] and from these I have compiled the following list
>> of people:
>
> Yeah, I was going to do this a while back and then never got to it.
>
>> [...]
>
> Josip was the maintainer before the move to Subversion and hasn't been
> active in quite some time.  Jeroen, Marc, and Frank were the new
> maintainer team that took over from them.  I think all four have been busy
> with other things for a while and probably wouldn't mind being removed
> from the Uploaders just to clarify who's currently active.  (No real
> reason to remove access beyond that.)
>
> Jordà did a ton of great work on the web pages and lintian.d.o but hasn't
> in some time.  I'm not sure if he's still interested / planning on doing
> more work or not.
>
> Colin mostly commits various Ubuntu synchronization things when they come
> up and has for some time, which has always been nice.  His level of
> involvement has been about the same while I've been working on Lintian.

Nice to get to know the team :)

~Niels