Re: Bits and pieces related to Lintian

On Apr 28, 2011, at 19:25, Niels Thykier wrote:

> Hi

Hello everyone,

> I figured a few somewhat unrelated things I would like to ask or bring
> up, so here is a little "misc mail".

I appreciate this type of occasional email.

> Next release
> ============
> To my knowledge, we do not have one planned.  Any suggestions?  Are
> there any bugs/changes that you would like to see fixed or implemented
> in the next version?
>
> Personally, I got my eyes on #617991, #622888, #527026, #387166 and the
> profile-proposal.  Nevertheless, I doubt I will get all of them done in
> the near future (except those that already have patches :D ).
>
> BTS cleaning
> ============
> We are currently just a few bugs shy of 200 unfixed bugs and we have
> (mostly) stayed below 200 since early January (if you do not count
> pending bugs).  While we have been able to keep the bug count down for
> the past few months, we have accumulated nearly 60 new bugs since May
> last year[BG].
>  We have been doing a fair amount of work to keep this down, but
> occasionally a bug or two slips through.  Unfortunately, there are a lot
> of bugs, which I am not certain how to deal with.  In some cases there
> is just the original report.  That being said, I have also seen bugs
> with a bit of dialogue, where the report just ends with a lack of
> conclusion.
>  So I am hoping we could arrange some day to (re-)triage bugs or/and
> simply just fix a lot of bugs. :D  Perhaps as a part of DebConf11?

I think a lintian bug squashing party at DebConf11 would be great. I'll try and poke at some of the bugs, that might ease some of my guilt. :}

> DebConf11
> =========
> Are there any plans for doing a Lintian BoF like last year or any other
> Lintian event for that matter?  The official call for events is closing
> in 8th of May (less than 2 weeks from now) as far as I understand.
> Unlike the ad-hoc BoF last year - We might actually get it on video. ;)
>
> Personally I plan to be present at DC11, but I have not bought a ticket yet.

Same here.

> Roll call
> =========
> I have had a look at the list of current uploaders as well as the alioth
> project page[AliPro] and from these I have compiled the following list
> of people:
>
> * Adam D. Barratt
> ~ Colin Watson
> - - Frank Lichtenheld
> - - Jeroen van Wolffelaar
> - - Josip Rodin
> - - Marc Brockschmidt
> ~ Raphael Geissert
> * Russ Allbery
> - - Jordà Polo (alioth only/non-DD login)
> * Niels Thykier
>
> I am wondering if this list is accurate.  At least in the 4 months I
> have been active with the Lintian team I only recall seeing 3 (excluding
> myself) of these names in commit or on the mailing list, 4 if you count
> changelog entries in 2.5.0~rc1 that where made before I joined.
>  Of course, there are many ways to be an active and valuable member of
> any project without having committed any changes for a while (or even
> ever), so the above is a mere estimate for whether people are active
> (and it does not account for long term vacation/leaves either).
>  So, there is a "*" in front of the name if I have seen said person
> "recently" (as defined above) or via IRC debated a Lintian
> change/proposal/bug/etc. with said person.  Then there is a "~" if the
> person declared him-/herself "busy/focused elsewhere" (with no proof to
> being active again).  Finally there is "-" for "I do not know about said
> person".
>
> If you got a symbol you do not feel matches your current
> status/involvement with the project, please do speak up.  My goal is to
> get an idea of who are available and who I can ping/nag/etc. if I need
> feedback/suggestion/a 2nd opinion on a proposal/bug report.

Perhaps this list can serve as a general place to ping and raise bug issues? It can possibly be a catalyst to get long term lurkers such as myself more involved.

Regards,

Jeremiah