Bits and pieces related to Lintian

Hi

I figured a few somewhat unrelated things I would like to ask or bring
up, so here is a little "misc mail".

Next release
============
To my knowledge, we do not have one planned.  Any suggestions?  Are
there any bugs/changes that you would like to see fixed or implemented
in the next version?

Personally, I got my eyes on #617991, #622888, #527026, #387166 and the
profile-proposal.  Nevertheless, I doubt I will get all of them done in
the near future (except those that already have patches :D ).

BTS cleaning
============
We are currently just a few bugs shy of 200 unfixed bugs and we have
(mostly) stayed below 200 since early January (if you do not count
pending bugs).  While we have been able to keep the bug count down for
the past few months, we have accumulated nearly 60 new bugs since May
last year[BG].
  We have been doing a fair amount of work to keep this down, but
occasionally a bug or two slips through.  Unfortunately, there are a lot
of bugs, which I am not certain how to deal with.  In some cases there
is just the original report.  That being said, I have also seen bugs
with a bit of dialogue, where the report just ends with a lack of
conclusion.
  So I am hoping we could arrange some day to (re-)triage bugs or/and
simply just fix a lot of bugs. :D  Perhaps as a part of DebConf11?

DebConf11
=========
Are there any plans for doing a Lintian BoF like last year or any other
Lintian event for that matter?  The official call for events is closing
in 8th of May (less than 2 weeks from now) as far as I understand.
Unlike the ad-hoc BoF last year - We might actually get it on video. ;)

Personally I plan to be present at DC11, but I have not bought a ticket yet.

Roll call
=========
I have had a look at the list of current uploaders as well as the alioth
project page[AliPro] and from these I have compiled the following list
of people:

* Adam D. Barratt
~ Colin Watson
- - Frank Lichtenheld
- - Jeroen van Wolffelaar
- - Josip Rodin
- - Marc Brockschmidt
~ Raphael Geissert
* Russ Allbery
- - Jordà Polo (alioth only/non-DD login)
* Niels Thykier

I am wondering if this list is accurate.  At least in the 4 months I
have been active with the Lintian team I only recall seeing 3 (excluding
myself) of these names in commit or on the mailing list, 4 if you count
changelog entries in 2.5.0~rc1 that where made before I joined.
  Of course, there are many ways to be an active and valuable member of
any project without having committed any changes for a while (or even
ever), so the above is a mere estimate for whether people are active
(and it does not account for long term vacation/leaves either).
  So, there is a "*" in front of the name if I have seen said person
"recently" (as defined above) or via IRC debated a Lintian
change/proposal/bug/etc. with said person.  Then there is a "~" if the
person declared him-/herself "busy/focused elsewhere" (with no proof to
being active again).  Finally there is "-" for "I do not know about said
person".

If you got a symbol you do not feel matches your current
status/involvement with the project, please do speak up.  My goal is to
get an idea of who are available and who I can ping/nag/etc. if I need
feedback/suggestion/a 2nd opinion on a proposal/bug report.

~Niels

[BG] http://qa.debian.org/data/bts/graphs/l/lintian.png
May last year there were about 140, by August it was ~160 and December
we had 200.  As of writing we got 194 (all excluding pending bugs).

[AliPro] http://alioth.debian.org/projects/lintian
 - or -
https://alioth.debian.org/project/memberlist.php?group_id=1128