Re: Bits and pieces related to Lintian

On 2011-04-29 11:43, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> On Apr 28, 2011, at 19:25, Niels Thykier wrote:
>
>> Hi
>
> Hello everyone,

Hey,

>> I figured a few somewhat unrelated things I would like to ask or bring
>> up, so here is a little "misc mail".
>
> I appreciate this type of occasional email.

:)

>> [...]
>> BTS cleaning
>> ============
>> We are currently just a few bugs shy of 200 unfixed bugs and we have
>> (mostly) stayed below 200 since early January (if you do not count
>> pending bugs).  While we have been able to keep the bug count down for
>> the past few months, we have accumulated nearly 60 new bugs since May
>> last year[BG].
>>  We have been doing a fair amount of work to keep this down, but
>> occasionally a bug or two slips through.  Unfortunately, there are a lot
>> of bugs, which I am not certain how to deal with.  In some cases there
>> is just the original report.  That being said, I have also seen bugs
>> with a bit of dialogue, where the report just ends with a lack of
>> conclusion.
>>  So I am hoping we could arrange some day to (re-)triage bugs or/and
>> simply just fix a lot of bugs. :D  Perhaps as a part of DebConf11?
>
> I think a lintian bug squashing party at DebConf11 would be great. I'll try and poke at some of the bugs, that might ease some of my guilt. :}

By all means, go ahead.  If you are on IRC, feel free to poke me
(nthykier) if you have any questions or anything.

>> [...]
>
>> Roll call
>> =========
>> I have had a look at the list of current uploaders as well as the alioth
>> project page[AliPro] and from these I have compiled the following list
>> of people:
>
>> * Adam D. Barratt
>> ~ Colin Watson
>> - - Frank Lichtenheld
>> - - Jeroen van Wolffelaar
>> - - Josip Rodin
>> - - Marc Brockschmidt
>> ~ Raphael Geissert
>> * Russ Allbery
>> - - Jordà Polo (alioth only/non-DD login)
>> * Niels Thykier
>
>> [...]
>
> Perhaps this list can serve as a general place to ping and raise bug issues? It can possibly be a catalyst to get long term lurkers such as myself more involved.

The trimmed list of uploaders or the mailing list?  In the latter case,
we already get all of the bug reports here.  Personally I was looking
for the former, because there are sometimes I am looking at a bug or a
patch and I am conflicted about it.  In that case it is good to know who
can I ping/nag to give me a 2nd look.

Two examples for me are bugs like #586862 and #539760.  In both cases I
feel like closing because we do not plan on fixing them (and they are
not "external"/"things we cannot do, but other tools might").
  There are also a couple of more tricky bugs like the the sr@latin.po
bug(s), should be fixed now even though stable is still affected by it?
(something about a Pre-Depends is needed in stable)