Re: Proposal for a new test suite

Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> writes:

> Hmm, after some experience just *how* slow that is gonna be on my poor
> laptop, I'm actually thinking about some improvements.
>
> One way could be to offer source-only and binary-only tests. The former
> would just run dpkg-buildpackage -S or dpkg-source -b and the latter
> dpkg-deb --build. Since the new test suite should be more fine-grained
> than the old, one will usually only check for one type of tags anyway.
>
> And that could be significantly faster than always running the whole
> package build.

You could also make use of the work just committed for --tags to not run
check scripts we don't care about, since we know from the metadata which
tags are actually being checked.  (Although I'm a little nervous about
that, since we get a lot of mileage right now out of unintentional tests
in the existing test suite.)