Re: Proposal for a new test suite

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:34:34PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> writes:
> > 1) I hope that the new test suite will make it more useful to run it
> > only partly. Now you really need to run the whole testsuite, even if
> > you only edit one check script, since the test can be diestributed all
> > over the test suite.
> > 2) The fact that we now use git should make it easier to commit more
> > than one fix with only light fixing and only run the testsuite once
> > before the push.
>
> Both good points.  Definitely don't let the speed issue stop you.

Hmm, after some experience just *how* slow that is gonna be on my poor
laptop, I'm actually thinking about some improvements.

One way could be to offer source-only and binary-only tests. The former
would just run dpkg-buildpackage -S or dpkg-source -b
and the latter dpkg-deb --build. Since the new test suite should be more
fine-grained than the old, one will usually only check for one type of
tags anyway.

And that could be significantly faster than always running the whole
package build.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>