Re: Proposal for a new test suite

Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> writes:

> It is my opinion that the current test suite doesn't scale very well and
> I would like to supplement (and in the long run replace) it with
> something better.

I looked this over and it looks great.  I wholeheartedly approve of this
and agree with your analysis of the problems with the existing test
suite.

The only major concern that I have is that by building more packages
during the test, it will make the test suite even slower.  It's already
slow enough that it delays development somewhat.

>  * It supports building .orig.tar.gz files on-the-fly,
>    making it easier to create non-native test packages.

This is really cool.

> Status of this code:
>  * It builds a list of test, creates the packages for them,
>    builds them and runs lintian.
>  * It also support the literal comparison method (i.e. cmp -s)
>    between two tag files as done by the old test suite.
>  * It does not yet use the description files to refine this
>    comparison.

Were you thinking about moving the sed thing into the description files?