Re: Proposal for a new test suite

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 12:41:41PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> writes:
> > It is my opinion that the current test suite doesn't scale very well and
> > I would like to supplement (and in the long run replace) it with
> > something better.
>
> I looked this over and it looks great.  I wholeheartedly approve of this
> and agree with your analysis of the problems with the existing test
> suite.
>
> The only major concern that I have is that by building more packages
> during the test, it will make the test suite even slower.  It's already
> slow enough that it delays development somewhat.

1) I hope that the new test suite will make it more useful to run it
only partly. Now you really need to run the whole testsuite, even if
you only edit one check script, since the test can be diestributed all
over the test suite.
2) The fact that we now use git should make it easier to commit more
than one fix with only light fixing and only run the testsuite once
before the push.

> Were you thinking about moving the sed thing into the description files?

Could probably be done. Haven't thought about it, though.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/