Re: [OT] Re: AGPL request for summary of recent discussion

On 02/09/13 21:27, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> MJ Ray <mjr <at> phonecoop.coop> writes:
>> > whether software follows the DFSG or not, yet the number of subscribers
>> > seems to be generally increasing towards some asymptote
>> > http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-legal.png
> You know that l.d.o is not the only interface to those lists, right?

Yes, but we have good usage data on that interface and I've no evidence
that subscription is stronger or weaker on other interfaces.  I doubt
any usage data shows "considering unsubscribing" clearly either, but if
anyone has more comprehensive data, I'm happy to defer to it.

>> > [...] how does
>> > someone convince others without explaining the problems?
> I never said he shouldn’t explain the problems. I merely suggested he
> explain it in places where they can be addressed instead of in the place
> where Debian contributors go when they want advice on the project’s
> position on something, or sth. like that.

Even though I sometimes prod people to concentrate on vital topics with
questions like "what software in debian is this about?", I've been
reminded often enough that this list's charter ("Discussions about
legality issues such as copyrights, patents etc") doesn't limit it to
stating or even developing the project's position.

I'm wondering what places.  It already happens on the bug tracker, as
noted earlier in this discussion.  It happened on the FSF drafting
interface, as far as people were able, for all the notice they took of
many comments.  I wouldn't suggest raising the AGPL's drawbacks in the
list or forum or MUC of each package released under it.

If no-one wants to explain where/how they feel licence interpretation
differences should be explained more usefully/less annoyingly, I'll
regard this as EOT from me too.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op