Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 08:27:14 -0500 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

[...]
> If on the other hand you let the other user interact with your laptop
> through a network (say, they ssh into it), then clause 13 of the AGPL
> applies.

I am not following you here.

Section 13 of the AfferoGPLv3 states, in part:
| if you modify the Program, your modified version must prominently offer
| all users interacting with it remotely through a computer network (if
| your version supports such interaction) an opportunity to receive the
| Corresponding Source

If being usable in an SSH session counts as "supporting" remote
interaction "through a computer network", then basically every program
supports such interaction!  This would mean that any AfferoGPLv3'ed
program must comply with the restrictions of section 13, even when it
is not designed to be used through a network.

I mean, if some AfferoGPLv3'ed code is included in a modified version
of, say, OpenOffice.org, the modifier has to offer access to the whole
Corresponding Source, if he/she installs his/her modified version on a
box with an SSH server and at least one other user...

I seem to remember that the parenthetical "(if your version supports
such interaction)" is there just to avoid to extend the restriction to
programs not specifically designed for network use.
But maybe I am wrong.
If I am wrong, the AfferoGPLv3 is even worse than I thought!

[...]
> Also, instead of providing a link to where the source can be found,
> the embedded device's network interface could say "contact this
> person, this group, meet me at the docks at 4 AM, come alone" and then
> that other contact could provide the source over a network, since all
> the device has to offer is an "opportunity".

I don't think that (currently) qualifies as "standard or customary
means of facilitating copying of software"...

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!