Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

* Arc Riley <arcriley@gmail.com> [080902 11:23]:
> In these cases, all it's doing is ensuring that the users of the software
> are granted the four software freedoms.

It's not the users of the software, it's the users of services run by
the software.

> We do not view this as a use
> restriction, as the user of the software has no restrictions added to her
> remote usage nor local usage should they download it, but rather ensuring
> that she has the same abilities and rights we have with locally-run free
> software.

So where to draw the line for use restrictions? If you really want the
same abilities and rights, why don't you demand that users can change
the software running? (As making it run on another computer that is not
half a building and has tons of database might not be possible at all?)

> If it's a small embedded system, the source code is likely also to be small.

But usually the memory on embedded systems is even smaller, so this is a
very noticeable restriction.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link