Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

2008/9/2 MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop>:
>  "Would a licence that required me to give a copy of the source at my
>  expense if I let someone use the application on my laptop meet the
>  DFSG?"

Why is this a question that matters for the AGPL? Are you saying that
the condition of distributing source over a network could be
prohibitively expensive?

Pleae correct me if I'm strawmanning you, but this is ridiculous. It's
an even bigger burden to have to send people copies of CDs or to
download the source from all the GPLed software out there, and I don't
think all this distribution of source has brought any project to its
knees. Sure, if your site is slashdotted with source requests, that's
a problem, but this could happen just as well with the GPL as it it
could with the AGPL.

You don't have to give source to every user of your software, only to
those who ask.

I don't understand why embedded systems have anything to do with it.
You just have to put the code up somewhere on some network server if
you are distributing your application's interface over a network. The
server hosting the code doesn't even have to be your own, just put it
on Sourceforge or one of the zillions code hosting servers out there.

I don't see a conflict with the dissident test either; if the
dissident can setup a network server to offer a network interface to
her users, she can also anonymously upload the source to Sourceforge
(or whatever).

- Jordi G. H.