Re: A new practical problem with invariant sections?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 06:08:06PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> So how can I distribute the document on that device if I cannot include
> it on the device?  I cannot, and hence the modifications needed to use
> it on that device are not allowed.

I don't know of any device that rejects files of a particular encoding.  Can
you give an example of such a device?

> Of course I can distribute the complete document and tell the owner of
> such a device how to create a derivative that fits on it.  But then he
> may no longer distribute it.

No, he just can't view the invariant sections on his device.  The requirement
is that you give him those sections when you distribute the document, not
that he be able to read them on every device he owns.

If we extrapolate your argument out to the extreme, I am breaking the
license if I print out the document (along with Japanese invariant sections)
and give it to someone who doesn't understand Japanese.  That's plain stupid.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>