Re: A new practical problem with invariant sections?

Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:44:33AM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> wrote:

>> > I guess you've never heard of UUENCODE.
>>
>> That won't help: If the device is not capable of uudecoding and
>> displaying the resulting Japanese, the license requirement cannot be
>> fulfilled.
>
> That's ridiculous.

To me, it's rather sad.

> The requirement is not that the sections must display on every device
> imaginable anyway.  The requirement is that the sections are preserved when
> the document is distributed.

So how can I distribute the document on that device if I cannot include
it on the device?  I cannot, and hence the modifications needed to use
it on that device are not allowed.

Of course I can distribute the complete document and tell the owner of
such a device how to create a derivative that fits on it.  But then he
may no longer distribute it.

That's non-free.

Regards, Frank
--