Re: A new practical problem with invariant sections?

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 07:31:20PM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> Now, I'd like to download this (translated) manual and place it on a
> portable device I own, so I can easily read it without killing a bunch
> of trees. I think this is clearly a useful modification, and I think
> that I should be able to do this for a DFSG-free work.
>
> But, there is a problem: My portable device understands only ASCII, or
> maybe ISO-8859-1 if I'm lucky (at least in the US, this is pretty
> common). It doesn't understand UTF-8, Shift-JIS, etc. It is not
> technically possible to keep the Japanese invariant section.
>
> I believe this gives a notable, practicle reason why invariant sections
> are not free.

you zealot freaks have no qualms about lying, do you?

don't be an idiot. you only have to keep the invariant sections if you
are DISTRIBUTING a copy. you can do whatever you want with your own
copy.

there are no jack-booted FSF storm-troopers ready to kick down your door
because you didn't copy an invariant section to your own PDA. nor even
any trained attack-lawyers. the GFDL does not restrict personal use as
you are trying to imply that it does.

craig

ps: according to your bogus argument, that also means any non
US-ASCII/iso-8859-1 document is non-free simply because you can't use it
on some common PDAs in the US. what an asinine assertion. or, similarly,
that because YOU can't read Japanase (or some other non-english
language) that foreign language documents are non-free.

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)