Re: PHP License for PHP Group packages

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 12:32:25PM +1100, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> > That's a matter of perspective, of course--Subversion is more important
> > to me.
>
> Ever heard of G/LAMP? (GNU/Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Python/Perl) PHP
> has many millions of installations around the world, and is used by
> admins and even users a lot. SVN is used by developers or people who
> want to live on the edge, which I think is less than the number of PHP
> users.

Maybe that makes it more critical to you.  As I said, it's a matter of
perspective.

Having SVN packaged is also far more important in practice for me.  If I
want to use PHP, if it's not packaged, I install it manually once.  If I
want to host a project with subversion, and it's not packaged, then every
developer on the project has to do so, which increases the threshold
for attracting developers significantly.

(Subversion is certainly not "on the edge", by the way; it's a stable,
solid, production-quality, 98%-complete replacement for CVS.)

None of which is terribly important.  Unless we're compelled against our
will by sheer volume of fundamentally critical works, none of this affects
whether the restriction is non-free.

--
Glenn Maynard