Re: PHP License for PHP Group packages

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 01:49:06AM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
> Wasn't this issue solved in Apache License Version 2.0?

The license, yes, but a quick look at /usr/share/doc/apache2/copyright
shows some pieces that still use the old one.  I havn't looked to see
how much.

> If this is case, the most 'critical' package that still has this kind of
> non-freeness seems to be php...

That's a matter of perspective, of course--Subversion is more important
to me.

(By the way, though I don't think it's currently critical to the thread,
Subversion has the restriction "nor may "Tigris" appear in their names".
"Tigris" != "Subversion".)

> And yes, I think it's a battle worth fighting, 'cause a DFSG-free PHP
> would benefit Free Software and Debian users, but PHP is not DFSG-free,
> currently...

You're saying "this is onerous enough to make it non-free" (aka "it's a
battle worth fighting") "because it's non-free".  That's not a very
persuasive argument.  :)

--
Glenn Maynard